10 Quick Chickpea Recipes
Chickpeas are a wonderful source of protein, fiber, and iron, and they’re incredibly easy to prepare in a variety of ways. Whether you’re looking to feed your family a healthy vegetarian meal or use them to prepare a delicious snack, these recipes will have you cooking up a storm in no time.
- Chickpea Soup – One of the easiest and quickest ways to make a delicious soup is to make a chickpea broth and add some vegetables. This is the perfect way to use up the chickpeas that we usually buy and have in the freezer. You can also use any other kind of vegetable, but for this recipe, if you like, you can add some spinach.
- Chickpea Salad – This is a great classic that is filling and satisfying while being very healthful. You will need chickpeas, red onion, chopped cherry tomatoes, chopped fresh parsley, red wine vinegar, dried oregano, cumin, and sea salt. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Then, chill it and serve.
- Israeli Falafel – Falafel is a Middle Eastern sandwich made of ground chickpeas. It is usually prepared by deep frying the chickpeas or chickpea flour in oil and then assembling it with a paste of herbs, spices, and vegetables like tomatoes, onions, and bell peppers.
- Chickpea Wraps – are especially popular as they are filled with a savory blend of spicy yet crunchy vegetables, seasoned with herbs, spices, and sesame seeds. Simply cook the chickpeas in a pan with oil and seasoning, and then wrap them in a tortilla.
- Chickpea Curry – is one of the most popular foods in India, and you will find it on almost every Indian restaurant menu. It is popular as a vegetarian dish or as a side dish. It is made from garbanzo beans or chickpeas, which are roasted in spices like ground ginger, coriander, turmeric, chili powder, garlic, onion, cumin, garam masala, and some salt. It is usually served with rice, roti, or naan.
- Chickpea Stew – start cooking the chickpea stew by throwing the chickpeas into a saucepan and pour some vegetable stock over them. Bring the heat to medium and add the rest of the vegetables to the pot. Wait for the vegetables to soften, then add a teaspoon of olive oil and some finely chopped garlic and cook for a few minutes. You add the chickpeas to the saucepan and stir in the rest of the stew.
- Roasted Chickpeas – are a great addition to any meal, making them a great snack, topping for salads, or a healthy alternative to bread. Start cooking by pre-heating the oven to 375ºF. In a large bowl, combine chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, and salt. With a fork, lightly mash/chop the ingredients until crumbly. Scatter the chickpeas on a baking sheet and roast for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown.
- Chickpea Burgers – Lots of people have questions about how to make these easy-to-make chickpea burgers. The answer is quite simple: you need to have chickpeas soaked in water overnight or for about 8 hours. Then you will grind the chickpeas and add them to some onion, spices, and other ingredients. That’s it! You can grill them, or you can also make them using the stovetop. You can use them on a sandwich or just on their own, as long as you have a good bun.
- Hummus – is an appetizing Middle-Eastern dip made of chickpeas, garlic, olive and lemon juice, tahini, salt, and olive oil. It is very easy to make it at home yet it is quite expensive to buy. You can easily make your own at home as well as it is very simple. You just need to soak the chickpeas, then blend them and add olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and salt. Blend it until smooth. Then, add the tahini and olive oil and mix it again. Finally, add water and blend it until smooth.
- Chickpea Hash – First things first, you take a can of chickpeas and pour out the water. Open a can of diced tomatoes and pour out the water. Cut up an onion and green pepper, and dice them. Sauté them in a pan with some olive oil, so they get a bit brown and plump and all that. Then, you add that to the chickpeas, along with some diced potatoes, and the juice of a lemon, and a nice big pinch of some thyme. And that’s it. The chickpea hash is good to go!
Chickpeas have been a staple food for quite a long time now, but the fact that they are so easy to prepare and so versatile makes them quite popular. They are available in different varieties, and they are inexpensive in most supermarkets.